Hot Topic: The Importance of Fire Safety in Apartment Communities

  |     |   Uncategorized

Did you know a common cause of a fire in residential complexes is the misuse of electrical outlets and extension cords? As we gear up for the holidays, it's important we keep fire safety precautions in mind.

We invited the City of Beloit Fire Marshall, Rebecca Callaway,  to share the importance of fire safety and the correct use of electrical outlets and extension cords with our residents of Olympian Village. 

When Facing a Fire Emergency

  • Immediately call 911
  • Alert all family members and quickly move them towards the fire exit
  • When evacuating the building, feel doors for heat before opening them
  • If there is smoke in the air, stay low to the ground to reduce smoke inhalation
  • Keep one hand on the wall to prevent disorientation and crawl to the nearest exit
  • If you are trapped in your room or building during fire try to stop smoke and fire getting into your room by using towels, blankets or spare clothes to block the gaps in the door
  • Do not use the elevator

Leave a reply

required

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>